JewelA

What Happens in Books

Love to read and talk books

Silent in the Grave. Deanna Raybourn - Deanna Raybourn 2.5 stars

I'm not sure how to review this book, I'm not even sure how I feel about it!

It's one of those book that you don't particularly like, yet you can't stop reading!

What I thought I was going to read is an entertaining romantic mystery with a smart heroine, I was prepared to love the book and rush to buy the rest in the series! I'm glad I didn't.

What I read was not very entertaining, in fact I thought it was a bit depressing. The mystery was not very well laid out and left me uninterested, especially since one realizes the identity of the murderer early on, have to admit though, I didn't know the motive, but didn't care for it much. The time period although presented well with the costumes and the daily life, unfortunately the characters didn't fit well, they all behaved out of their time.

I think the biggest disappointment were Lady Julia Grey and Nicholas Brisbane. Julia did not act smart at all, she was not really investigating anything, in fact she was totally clueless! And Brisbane was not the character described, the book tell us he is not just really good looking, but in fact can do everything, even the supernatural! Alas we, the readers didn't see it at all.

Oh, and there was no romance, at all. Unless you count the little hints in Brisbane's behavior that Julia was clueless about.

Yet, I'm willing to read the rest, if not buy them.